Author Topic: John Sherman " the sherman tank "  (Read 28928 times)

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
Re: John Sherman " the sherman tank "
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 06:52:08 PM »
Great theory, but, that wasn't it......Food poisoining was the culprit that day.  Had withdraw from that show.  Your theory does make sense though.

Man that food poisoning can either make you or break you, can't it?  Rumor also has it that Stan "Curly Top" McCrary won the North Americans just based on the fact that he caught food poisoning in the last few days BEFORE the show and he shit and puked himself into an unbelievably dehydrated but super-sharp shape.  A shape he was to never recapture after turning pro.  

Was there anything extraordinary about your prep for '92 Nationals that you could share with us?  I wanna know what it felt like to have a run like that one.  Did it suck the whole time or was it in a strange way really enjoyable somehow?  I asked Cormier the other day how it felt the year he turned pro and he said, "there was just one goal/one dream...to turn IFBB Pro."    

Hey look it's John in the least embarassing workout outfit to be found in this picture, just over Cormier's right shoulder!   ;D

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 06:52:31 PM »
I'd take Johns physique over Branches any day.Looks allot more healthy.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 06:54:08 PM »
i think branch could be top 3- 5 olympia if he improves his back and really nails his conditoning.

AVBG

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 06:55:36 PM »
Man that food poisoning can either make you or break you, can't it?  Rumor also has it that Stan "Curly Top" McCrary won the North Americans just based on the fact that he caught food poisoning in the last few days BEFORE the show and he shit and puked himself into an unbelievably dehydrated but super-sharp shape.  A shape he was to never recapture after turning pro.  

Was there anything extraordinary about your prep for '92 Nationals that you could share with us?  I wanna know what it felt like to have a run like that one.  Did it suck the whole time or was it in a strange way really enjoyable somehow?  I asked Cormier the other day how it felt the year he turned pro and he said, "there was just one goal/one dream...to turn IFBB Pro."    

Didnt Branch claim the same type of thing happened before the 06 Arnold..(career best condition)?

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 06:59:22 PM »
saw john last year at the show hes still thick as hell and still looks like a pro. hes got sick forearms!
real men= no rubbers

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: The 12th Annual John Sherman Bodybuilding Classic-Houston,Texas
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 07:02:14 PM »
nothin personal against Branch.. its all about aesthetics.

Umm Jay is about as asthetically pleasing to the eye as Branch..
just push some weight!

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 07:03:05 PM »
Thanks!!

you were one of the guys i looked up to when i started traing   thanks for the motivation

AVBG

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 07:04:07 PM »
Umm Jay is about as asthetically pleasing to the eye as Branch..

I disagree.. Cutler's shoulder width puts him ahead of Branch.  

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 07:04:38 PM »
I disagree.. Cutler's shoulder width puts him ahead of Branch.  

Ok but Branch has a smaller waist.
just push some weight!

AVBG

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 07:05:57 PM »
Ok but Branch has a smaller waist.

He probably does.. its about the differential (between shoulder and waist) not the actual measurement  ;)

John J Sherman

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 07:08:55 PM »

Hey look it's John in the least embarassing workout outfit to be found in this picture, just over Cormier's right shoulder!   ;D
Funny, but true

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 07:10:37 PM »
If I recall correctly, in that old "John Sherman Tank Tread" leg training article of yours, it said you'd go up to 550 for 12 on the squat.  Is that about right, John?  I mean, that's all you've really gotta say to explain how you got those quads to look like that.  HEAVY WEIGHT FOR HIGH REPS.  It sounds like an impossibility but not in the squat.  Your shit was DENSE at Nationals, John.     

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 07:10:40 PM »
Branch looks like garbage now.  He looked good as an amateur.  Now he looks like a guinea pig for Pfizer.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2006, 07:10:55 PM »

Wow thats John? Cool! Hey John do you have any gym stories incolving those depicted in the pic?
just push some weight!

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2006, 07:14:29 PM »
Branch looks like garbage now.  He looked good as an amateur.  Now he looks like a guinea pig for Pfizer.

branchs legs were way ahead of his upper body as an amateur.

he improved his upper body alot but still needs to get more width.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2006, 07:16:03 PM »
branchs legs were way ahead of his upper body as an amateur.

he improved his upper body alot but still needs to get more width.

he looks puffy and red everywhere.  His waist has gotten bigger.

John J Sherman

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »
If I recall correctly, in that old "John Sherman Tank Tread" leg training article of yours, it said you'd go up to 550 for 12 on the squat.  Is that about right, John?  I mean, that's all you've really gotta say to explain how you got those quads to look like that.  HEAVY WEIGHT FOR HIGH REPS.  It sounds like an impossibility but not in the squat.  Your shit was DENSE at Nationals, John.     
Yep, the article is true.  Still train the same way today.  It really wouldn't take much to get back in contest shape, never really that far off anyway. 

John J Sherman

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2006, 07:21:58 PM »
john why did you stop competing?

the rumor i heard was that you had some personal problems and had stopped training for a while.
A few personal issues prevented me from competition, but, I never stopped training.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2006, 07:28:26 PM »
Found a few more.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2006, 07:29:38 PM »

Rammer

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2006, 07:35:16 PM »
Freshly uploaded to YouTube, John Sherman at the '92 Nationals:

;D

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2006, 07:40:54 PM »
Thnks Rammer.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2006, 07:46:25 PM »
Yep, the article is true.  Still train the same way today.  It really wouldn't take much to get back in contest shape, never really that far off anyway. 

Well let's examine it from this perspective.  If you can squat 550 for 12 you are a certified bad-ass.  End of story.  You can only look so bad if you squat 550 for 12, and you know he isn't talking half-reps.  I think this is key here.  I also remember that in Levrone's very first leg training article (the one that accompanied this picture here) they said his squat routine before his rookie-year NOC win looked like this:

135x20
225x20
315x20
405x20
495 (500)x15-20
585 (or let's just say 600) x12-15

I remember that the only damn thing that convincing me that Kevin might could do that was seeing his wheels at the time.  Otherwise it was just inconceivable.

And let's also examine just how far from 550 x five or six 550 x 12 really is.  That's night and day.  12 reps means that your first 8 look relatively textbook.  If you're claiming you can do it for 5 or 6, it means that one time at the gym on a dare you chalked up with your belt about to crush you and your face was blue and it was a fight or flight mechanism that got you through the first 3.  The next 2 or 3 were just by virtue of your being numb from the shock of feeling that sort of weight at the bottom of the first couple.  

Man I'm gettin' fired up over here...   ;D  

Man you guys keep thinking "supps" just makes training easier.  Some things NEVER GET EASIER and this perfectly illustrates that point.  The more you can do the farther into that zone you can go, and the deeper you go the deeper you wanna go...

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been..."
                                                    --Tool, "Lateralus"

Ha ha ha oh brother where's my Valeo belt oh brother epic example of beasthood oh my

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 09:05:01 PM »
The 12th Annual John Sherman Bodybuilding Classic will be held on October 28, 2006 in Houston, Texas @ the Reliant Arena(Event hall E). The is the last National Qualifier of the year in Texas. This years featured guest posers will be 8 time Mr. Olympia, Ronnie Coleman, 2 time Ms. International and 3 time Ms.Olympia, Iris Kyle, Soon to be Mr. Olympia, Branch Warren, and 2 time Ms. Olympia(Fitness) Adela Garcia.

This has been the largest contest in the state for the past few years, and competition is always very fierce. This should be another great production.

Get your Tickets and Information for the show @ Great Earth Vitamins, 713.975.7094. Hope to see you there
you put on a great show john i go every year ,see you there

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2006, 10:21:44 PM »
Well let's examine it from this perspective.  If you can squat 550 for 12 you are a certified bad-ass.  End of story.  You can only look so bad if you squat 550 for 12, and you know he isn't talking half-reps.  I think this is key here.  I also remember that in Levrone's very first leg training article (the one that accompanied this picture here) they said his squat routine before his rookie-year NOC win looked like this:

135x20
225x20
315x20
405x20
495 (500)x15-20
585 (or let's just say 600) x12-15

I remember that the only damn thing that convincing me that Kevin might could do that was seeing his wheels at the time.  Otherwise it was just inconceivable.

And let's also examine just how far from 550 x five or six 550 x 12 really is.  That's night and day.  12 reps means that your first 8 look relatively textbook.  If you're claiming you can do it for 5 or 6, it means that one time at the gym on a dare you chalked up with your belt about to crush you and your face was blue and it was a fight or flight mechanism that got you through the first 3.  The next 2 or 3 were just by virtue of your being numb from the shock of feeling that sort of weight at the bottom of the first couple. 

Man I'm gettin' fired up over here...   ;D 

Man you guys keep thinking "supps" just makes training easier.  Some things NEVER GET EASIER and this perfectly illustrates that point.  The more you can do the farther into that zone you can go, and the deeper you go the deeper you wanna go...

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been..."
                                                    --Tool, "Lateralus"

Ha ha ha oh brother where's my Valeo belt oh brother epic example of beasthood oh my

I'm sure the "supps" help just a tad bit in recovery  ::)